History

The first written evidence that iron processing was conducted in Forsbacka is from the late 1500s, when a steeple was delivered from the mill to the Castle Church in Gavle. 1651 received Forsbacka charter from Queen Christina. By the time the mill was owned by Mayor John Eskilsson Söderhamn and Peder Jacobsson Grubb in Gävle. The two owners were given permission to operate a hammer with two hearths.

In the late 1940s Forsbacka Iron mill was one of the foremost iron mills in Sweden. Forsbacka was a complete ironworks, where the entire production chain from ore to refined product was in the ironworks, which held over 1,000 people employed.

One of the most renown products were supplies for the mining industry everything from sledgehammers, drilling rods and grinding balls. Grinding balls was forged in forging machines. In 1977 the ball mill rolling was built by then the owner Fagersta.

From 2017 Forsbacka Kulverk took over the operations from Ovako and are now continuing building on a long proud heritage.

Read more about our Code of Conduct